Sunday, April 13, 2014

Farewell Zeke!

Well, I've done it. I've bought a new car. Maybe it is just me, but I grow very attached to my vehicles. So as I look back on my time with Zeke, I'd like to share my farewell letter to my car. (At this point I feel I should promise I'm not crazy... but maybe I am).

Dear Sven Ezekial,

The time has come for us to part ways. This is hard for me to do, you were, and still are, a great car. So much has happened in the years that we have been together. I have changed a lot, you have changed a little. Now it is time for me to get my dream car that I never thought I'd be able to get, and you will get a second life with a new owner.

I remember when I got you. I was just a 24 year old, just returned from a crazy mission trip to Sweden (which is where the Sven part of your name came from), and I was starting a 2 year house sitting job. The air conditioning in my old car, Stanley, had stopped working, so it was time to buy a new car. I was so excited because I would finally own a brand new car that would be all mine. I new I wanted an SUV, but they had stopped making my dream car so I started exploring other options. I never planned on buying you, because you had all the bells and whistles, but you were an 06 still sitting on the lot in late 07, so you were a bargain!

I had a lot of plans for us. We were going to travel, we were going to cart kids and equipment to soccer games, and someday I was hoping you'd have "Just Married" written across your back window and maybe even car seats strapped in using those safety latches they told me about at the dealership. I figured I'd be driving you until you just stopped running. God had different plans for us, though. We did do a lot of travelling and carting a lot of soccer kids and equipment. Some of those soccer kids wrote on your windows with car chalk (I think the last of it finally flaked off the roof this past winter). No wedding, and no kids, but that's okay.

As it turns out, I didn't drive you to death. Now I'm trading you in for my dream car. I will always remember you fondly (even that time you decided to leak all the transmission fluid while I ate at a Panera in Erie on the way home from Webster). I hope your next owner loves you as much as I did.

My first day with Zeke!

Saying goodbye to Zeke!
Thank you for sharing in my farewell to my car.

Keep it real friends,

HP

No comments:

Post a Comment