Monday, January 20, 2014

Relearning a Language

When I was preparing to go to ninth grade I had to register for classes. I didn't have many options, but there was one choice I was looking forward to, choosing a language. I had not had the opportunity to learn a second language prior to this, and I had always wanted to. I had dreams of becoming fluent in a second language, being able to converse with others, ready to go to a foreign country and blend in perfectly. I was obviously delusional. So what language did I choose? German!

Why German? Well, everyone said I should take Spanish, it would help me most if I wanted to be a teacher, and soon everyone would need to know Spanish. I didn't like doing what everyone said I should. Also, I have two older brothers who were taking German and liked to come home and say things I couldn't understand. It drove me crazy. So within a few months I deciphered that they kept kept calling me a "karoffelsalat" or "potato salad". It didn't matter, by that point I loved German. I loved the culture, the language, and my teacher. For two years I soaked up as much as I could from Frau and was ready to become an elementary German teacher some day. Then I moved on to German 3, and a new Frau, who didn't care as much if we learned anything. In my last two years of high school I didn't learn anything in German. I was too intimidated to take German in college, and thus ended my language learning. 

I have always regretted it!

I had maintained a few words and phrases, but over the years I wondered how much German I really still knew. Then I read The Book Thief over Christmas break (I'm sure I'll write about that later) and it is riddled with German phrases. I was so happy I could recognize most of what I was reading! So I decided it was time to relearn German, but how? After reading an article in the newspaper about top apps from Pittsburgh I discovered Duolingo. Created by someone at CMU, and free, I quickly downloaded the app to my iPad and got started. I've been pleased with how much I remember, and am excited to keep going. So far I love the app, it is easy to use, involves writing, hearing, and speaking. All the things I need to learn. 

So what language would you learn if you had the chance?

Keep it real friends,

HP

No comments:

Post a Comment