It was on twitter, courtesy of @JanePitt (a favorite follow of mine for awesome Pittsburgh-ness). It was just so true.
I'm an introvert. I have a bubble. It is not a secret. My personal bubble is actually somewhat of a joke with some of my friends, and my soccer team. I don't mind people joking about my bubble, as long as they are accepting and understanding of the fact that, to me, it really isn't a joke. Let me repeat, I am an introvert, to an extreme. When people invade that space without my permission it really, truly causes a me to have an anxiety-ridden reaction. So a few additional guidelines for understanding an introvert:
- Don't assume that if they are joking about their bubble it isn't a real thing. It might be okay to joke about the bubble, but do so from outside the bubble.
- Respect the fact that, if you are not especially close with the introvert, your comments about their bubble might be hurtful. Don't draw extra attention to the fact that this person has a bubble, it makes the bubble turn all dark and cloudy... not a happy bubble.
- Don't be insulted, upset, angered, or whatever when an introvert shies away from or flat out avoids your invasion of their bubble. Sometimes we just need some time alone to recharge our energy. We still like you, but from the quiet and comfort of our own area. :)
I've got some great friends, many of them are extroverts, and what I love about them is that they understand, accept, and work with my bubble.
Keep it real friends.
HP
ps... I write this after a truly wonderful day of introversion better known in the teaching world as a "snow day". Hours upon hours of just me, my dog, a book, and the fireplace. It was fantastic!

No comments:
Post a Comment